Magnum & BJP Professional Practice Workshop: Creative Commissions
Learn the mechanisms behind editorial and commercial commissions during this two-day workshop.
Learn from industry experts how to secure and develop creative commissions on this weekend-long course. Hear an inspirational lecture by Magnum nominee Diana Markosian on her journey to becoming a professional photographer, learn from industry experts on how to handle commissions from developing and pitching for a job, all the way to delivering the work. Get real insights on working with an art director, how to make your portfolio stand out and the common mistakes made by photographers when pitching for a commission. During group portfolio reviews you will receive honest feedback on your work and enjoy a two-day networking opportunity with peers.
If you’re an aspiring or professional photographer wanting to learn the mechanisms behind editorial and commercial commissions, then this workshop is for you.
This weekend will be led by Diana Markosian (Magnum Nominee), Emma Bowkett (Director of Photography, Financial Times Weekend Magazine), Jessica Bradbury (Executive Producer, Shoot Europe, Founder, Thursday’s Child) and Rasha Kahil (Creative Director, Barbara).
This workshop offers:
• Practical advice and lectures from industry speakers about their specific area of expertise
• Group portfolio reviews including advice on work and professional development
• Peer, Magnum Staff and Industry Expert networking opportunities
Where & When
Magnum Photos, 63 Gee St, London EC1V 3RS
13th – 14th April, 9.30am to 6pm
The workshop will be held in English
Early bird price offer: £290 (incl. VAT) until March 4, 2019
Regular price: £348 (incl. VAT) from March 4, 2019
Terms and Conditions apply.
See the bottom of this page for more details.
Selection and Requirements
Each workshop is open to 40 applicants and places will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
Click here to book your ticket for this workshop.
For enquiries relating to this workshop please email Sonia Jeunet email@example.com
Diana Markosian is an Armenian-American photographer whose images explore the relationship between memory and place. Her images can be found in publications like National Geographic Magazine, The New Yorker and The New York Times. She became a Magnum Nominee in 2016.
Emma Bowkett is Director of Photography at the Financial Times FT Weekend Magazine. Joining in 2009, she was integral to the small creative team who reworked the visual language of the magazine for the 2010 re-launch. Emma has curated exhibitions for the Triennale der Photographie Hamburg, Peckham 24 in London and in 2018 co-curated PhotoEast festival. She is a visiting university lecturer, and regularly participates at international portfolio reviews, festivals, art fairs and awards.
Jessica Bradbury is the founder and Managing Director of Shoot Europe; a stills and moving image production company, art buying and consultancy agency with offices in Paris and London. Jessica has been a Producer for over 15 years, with a background in high fashion photography attaining wide-reaching social and professional network across the creative industries. Jessica is currently launching Thursday's Child, a global platform for unsigned photographers and filmmakers aged 16-30 years.
Rasha Kahil is the co-founder and creative director of Barbara, a design studio (est. 2017) specialising in creative direction and content creation for fashion and lifestyle clients. Prior to setting up Barbara, Rasha served as art director of ES Magazine during its highly successful relaunch in February 2016 and has twelve years experience in fashion editorial, working for titles including British Vogue, Elle, and Dazed & Confused.
Terms and Conditions
• All fees must be paid on application
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to cancel groups with less than 25 participants. Students will be given a full refund. In the event of cancellation, students will be given at least 2 weeks advance notice
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to change or alter the program advertised
• For International applicants, Magnum Photos is not responsible for reimbursement of travel expenses in case the workshop is cancelled. We highly recommend that you buy refundable tickets and/or travel insurance
• Refunds to applicants who wish to cancel their place on the workshop can only be given up to 21 days in advance of the date of the workshop. After this point, refunds cannot be issued.